The villages of Netley Marsh and Woodlands have been infilled with C20th buildings so that they are no longer distinct as two separate areas, but both remain largely linear roadside villages. The parish also includes the hamlets of Hillstreet and a small part of Ower.
Maps showing how the parish boundaries have changed over time can be seen in the Parish Plan (downloadable from the Netley Marsh Parish Council website)
Netley Marsh The focal point of the village is found at the junction of Woodlands Road and Ringwood Road, with the school, church, vicarage, war memorial, White Horse Pub, and the former village shop and post office (now offices). All date to the late C19th.
The church of St Matthews, a grade II listed building, dates to 1855 built by JP Harrison built at the expense of Miss Ann Sturgess-Bourne of Testwood House. Along Ringwood Road to the west, you will find Tools for Self Reliance, which still uses some of the buildings left over from its previous use as a greyhound kennels, run by Charlie Knott, and Netley Farm before that. Across the road is the timber framed Old Forge building. At the end of the row the former Hampshire Reformatory buildings can be found, now known as Carlton House. After the site ceased to be a school, it was occupied by an agricultural cooperative and a steam laundry, and most recently by various engineering companies. C19th Farm houses and more modern houses fill the gaps.
There is no trace now of the Toll House and Turnpike building that appears on 1st-4th edition OS maps (at the Junction of Ringwood Road with Fletchwood Road), but it is referred to in the name of a nearby houses – Tollbar Cottages and Roundhouse Drive.
Woodlands Woodlands Lodge Hotel was built in 1770 as a hunting lodge. It was converted to its current use as a hotel in the 1950’s. Several thatched cottages dated to the late C18th/early C19th remain, but the majority of the Edwardian brick houses nearby can be attributed to the arrival of Sir Richard Leys who built Woodlands House (now a care home) in 1905, and was a major employer in the area.
During WW2, JR Tutte and Son setup a factory in Woodlands Road to manufacture aircraft parts, after their premises in Southampton and London were bombed. The Gamekeeper Pub, formerly the Royal Oak remains a popular pub today. The Cricketers beer house and the two shops, Penn’s and Collis, no longer exist. The houses at the lower end of Woodlands Road, opposite Busketts Lawn, were built in the 1920-30’s. The former council estate near The Gamekeeper was built in 1949 with additions in the 1970’s, and the bungalows along the Northern end of Woodlands Road were built in the post-war period.
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, RINGWOOD ROAD List Entry Number 1178991
TATCHBURY MOUNT HILLFORT List Entry Number: 1019193
STABLES OF LOPERWOOD MANOR. (TATCHBURY MOUNT HOSPITAL), LOPERWOOD, List Entry Number: 1178982
BARN 50 METRES NORTH-EAST OF WADE HILL FARM (Wade Hill Farm not included), Hill Street, List Entry Number: 1268246
GRANARY 2 METRES EAST OF THE THATCHED COTTAGE, HILL STREET, List Entry Number: 1351225
THE THATCHED COTTAGE, HILL STREET, List Entry Number: 1094339
SHORNE HILL, LOPERWOOD LANE, List Entry Number: 1262839
MARTIN'S FARM, Netley Marsh, BARTLEY, List Entry Number: 1178960
CHENEY'S FARMHOUSE, ROMSEY ROAD, List Entry Number: 1094341
Outside of the current boundaries, but once part of the parish of Netley Marsh:
LITTLE TESTWOOD HOUSE, SALISBURY ROAD, List Entry Number: 1351226
BARN 10 METRES NORTH OF HANGAR FARMHOUSE List Entry Number: 135126 HANGER FARMHOUSE List Entry Number: 1094338
CALMORE COTTAGE, LOPERWOOD LANE, List Entry Number: 1094340
Click Here to find out the details of each listing
Manor Houses and Estates (see also the section on Manor Houses on the People tab).
Within the parish are several large manor houses and estates, several of which were built on the site of royal hunting lodges. Many of the resident families had military connections and during WW1 and WW2 were used as convalescent hospitals or training military establishments i.e. Shorne Hill and Loperwood House.
The Old Manor House in Tatchbury Lane dates to the C17th, thought to have been built on the site of one of King John’s hunting lodges (C13th). Most recently, it was a nursing home but has been boarded up for several years. The house became HMS Safeguard; a Royal Navy base during WW2.The National Health Service took over the site in 1951.